Friday, April 11, 2008

Pat Plohman Says Thanks to Iowa MOST

As a first-time volunteer with Iowa MOST, I struggle to find words that adequately describe my experiences so far. From the moment we arrived, our very dedicated team has been welcomed and recognized in ways that extend far beyod what I could have expected. The courtesies of food and support as well as expressions of gratitude are so deeply heartfelt. The Rotarians and families of Quetzaltenango have words, smiles and gracious gestures that so genuinely convey their appreciation for all of our efforts here.

On a very personal note -- I have been able to witness the initial patience and pleading hope with which families passed through the screening process. The children greeted us with smiles and the parents smiled, too, but they also looked deep into our eyes hoping for the confirming "yes" for surgery. Those for whome surgery was scheduled responded with even broader, more grateful smiles. Being a part of this screening process meant that on surgery days, I got to recognize, hug, hold and love the precious smiles of the children afterour amazingly skilled team members had completed their work.

As if that wouldn't be rewarding enough to witness such a life-changing event for these special children. I was able to carry the children out of recovery and place them safely into the arms of their trusting parents. Exchanging hugs and glances with tear-filled eyes, we would say our farewells with those precious moments imprinted in my heart forever.

Thank you Iowa MOST for including me on such an invaluable mission that provides the surgery with the tender love and care for these children that we as parents all want for our children. I am also particularly grateful to John Canady and Gary Pacha for allowing me to share this once in a life-time opportunity with my daughter Jodi, who is one of the surgeons! I will leave Guatemala realizing what an incredible difference a relatively small group of compassionate people can make when the primary purpose has been motivated by the desire to do "good" where it is most needed!

Pat Plohman is shown on the right in the picture in this posting. She lives in Winnepeg, Canada.

No comments: