Thursday, February 25, 2010

Karin Franklin

I became involved in Iowa MOST since 2006 through my local Rotary club. I was involved on the first mission as a recovery room assistant, and I had no medical experience prior to that. On the next mission I got involved in supples, and became increasingly involved in the organization in 2008, 2009, and 2010.

This year's highlight for me was a a delightful 11 year old boy named Christopher. He came to feel very at home in the hospital, running all over and stopping in with a smile on his cheery little face. He asked for a stuffed animal (something we usually save for post-surgery) and I wondered if it might be a problem for the other patients, but I gave him a black teddy bear. He gave it a huge hug and walked back to the ward. It was then that I learned he was an orphan and........(tears indicating she won't forget him).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Karin, this is so wonderful that you are doing this. I admire you more than ever! tell the other folks we know down there hello.

Sandy Pickup

Unknown said...

Karin,
Thanks for sharing and thanks to all the blog writers for keeping us posted on MOST 2010. There is no way to measure the impact MOST has made on the individuals and their families. We admire you all! Godspeed!

Linda Muston